Did you know?
Cataracts in Dogs
- 75% of dogs develop cataracts within 1 year of being diagnosed with diabetes mellitus.
- Cataract surgery successfully restores vision in 90% of diabetic dogs.
- Dogs that undergo cataract surgery are 255 times less likely to experience painful sequelae (glaucoma, uveitis) than those with untreated cataracts.
- Rapid onset diabetic cataracts cause spontaneous lens capsule rupture in 10% of cases.
- Our board-certified veterinary ophthalmologist, Dr. Kyle Tofflemire, offers free initial consultations for all diabetic dogs to facilitate prompt diagnosis and management of cataracts and optimize prognosis for vision and comfort.